Monday 25 March 2013

Running in Paradise

While, I've been in Hawaii over a week, and island hoped yesterday. The whole reason why I had taken so much time off from running when my knee started hurting was so that I could run while I was here.

And it was sooo worth it.
Running in March with just a running skirt, sports bra and vest :)
 
I ran 3 miles Monday (day 1) 4 miles Tuesday, took a break wednesday and Thursday and then 4 on Friday and Saturday.
 
Some people have a hard time running while on vacation, and I will admit there are some challenges.
 
For example:
             Eating Habbits- are completely different (you are on holidays, thats why you work hard all year round), oh and don't forget all the specialty beverages your drinking!
             Climate Change- the temperature change can be hard for your body to adjust to
             The Group- when you run, whoever you are traveling with may be waiting for you to get back so that they can make plans for the day which can put pressure on you to cut your run short.
 
But heres the thing, to me, exercising while on vacation is what I look forward to the most! I finally have no schedule to keep me tied down. I can run when I want, hit up the gym when I want and go take a swim in the ocean whenever I'd like. Plus, all of the walking around I've done is so much better then sitting in an Office Chair for 8 hours a day!
 
Now the quality of my runs while here may not have been the best, but really, just because you are in paradise doens't mean your runs are going to be paradise (see the above reasons for challenges... I'm sure some of those were contributing factors).
 
All, in all, for me, running is a part of my vacation that I look forward to, so I make time for it by waking up before the people that I'm traveling with. Its nice to start off your mornings by yourself, pounding the pavement or the plastic wood path. Passing fellow runners, saying good morning, and noticing how much straighter everyone runs here, with no pressure or burdens on their shoulders.
 
So when your on vacation, don't allow your routine or training to take a slide. Enjoy the freedom of a no work schedule, and if you are feeling the pressures of your group to be ready early, then wake up earlier. You aren't going to be the only one out there running, and it is nice to know that althouh you may be far away from your home running community, there is a running community that exists while on Holidays.  

    Cooling off in the Ocean after my Run... Not something I get to do back home

No comments:

Post a Comment