Thursday 6 June 2013

Biking to Work

Alright, super lame title for the post, but I couldn't come up with anything catchy... and, lets face it. None of my Post Titles are catchy or insightful. Heck, if they are informative of what the blog is going to be about, I figure that is a win!

Anyways, the weather in the lower mainland is finally begining to resemble Summer. Meaning wake-up = sun is shinning, heading home = sparse wispy clouds blown in by the breeze, blue skies and sunshine. So after discussing riding my bike to and from work with a co-worker, I finally took the plunge and did it. Now, funny story... this was my first ride of the season! And to make this a tad bit more ridiculous, I never took my bike out last summer! So after sitting in my basement collecting dust, this beauty finally got to see the Great Outdoors.


Oh my, I forgot how nice it is to go for a bike ride before most of the world is awake. Although this meant an earlier wake up call, I do not struggle with going to bed when it is light out. So a early bed time on Monday, and an early wake up call Tuesday made my hour plus bike ride to work possible. The feeling of accomplishment, and responses of awe/your nuts from  co-workers made it all the more enjoyable.

Now one thing that I will say, is that I did forget how sore sitting in the saddle for that long can be... Also, my gears weren't quite shifting right, and I only corrected those/verbalized my confusion, on the way home. So those were the few downsides, oh and the ridiculous appetite I had all day resulted in a bag of chips being bought at lunch. Although the weather was in the mid 20's (Celsius), I did not find the bike ride home too hot. I think this is because of the constant breeze one has when they are biking, be it because of an actual breeze or just the feeling you get when you coast for a bit.

Upon arriving home I was still smiles, even though I did walk my bike up one hill and thought my legs were going to fall off on the last uphill before home. 


See, still all smiles and looking oh so cool! Upon prying myself off my bike (practically falling off) I proceeded out back to the pool that isn't heated right now. Yepp, my own personal ice bath...



My weary, tired legs were so happy to be submerged in cold, unheated pool water. And my parents were happy as they figured that if the chemicals were way off, based off the high sensitivity of my skin they would soon know. Win Win! (again, my mom and her eternal optimism). After riding for over 2 1/2 hours, I put myself to bed at 8 pm. That's correct, didn't even make it till 9 pm (an arguably 'reasonable' bed time as far as I'm concerned).

With all these training hours I have been putting in, my appetite has gone through the roof. I've had to be more conscious about how much liquid I'm consuming, the types of liquids I'm consuming and what activity I have planned for the next 24 hours. So that was my Tuesday in a nut shell... but I must say, I liked sandwiching my work day with an activity, and the route that I biked to work makes me think that Friday's before long weekends, when it takes me well over an hour to get home anyways, I'd rather be out on my bike, moving forward, burning calories, enjoying the glorious day.

No comments:

Post a Comment