Wednesday 12 December 2012

How Much Is Too Much?

Monday Evening - Ran on Treadmill 6 miles

Tuesday Evening - Ran on Treadmill 3 miles

I first started running long distances, and training for half marathons last year. The end of December 2011 (I think it was the 28th or 29th) I signed up for my first Half Marathon, which was to take place in February. Prior to this, the longest I ran was 4 maybe 6 miles every now and then but I typically stuck with the tried and true 3 miler. As many runners may know, once you start running races, you catch this type of running-bug. So naturally I did another half marathon three months after my first, got into the Nike Women's Marathon and started training for that shortly after my second half marathon.

Although I tried following a training plan, what I quickly  realized that my body is not made for high mileage training. I do not think that I will ever be one of those people who can consistently run 5-7 times  a week and stay 100% healthy. Instead, 3-4 runs a week, and cross-training (alright, the goal of cross-training, great intentions... but really, who wants to go for a bike ride in December, or drive to the pool in the cold to get into a cold pool and do laps... not this kid), with one rest day every week seems to be the way my body functions best.

So all of this being said, why did I decide to run back to back nights? Because giving advice and adhering to it are two very different things. But perhaps, this upcoming year, I will do a better job at listening to my body, training smart, and cross-training. :)

Like I said, I'm getting a jump start on this whole New Years resolution...

No comments:

Post a Comment