Thursday 7 March 2013

Neon On, Pride Off

Alright, so day numero 1 of hill training... umm OUCH! First of all, what masochist invented hill training (this better pay off!!) and Secondly, what other crazy people actually do this!

1.5 mile warm up 9.05
1 min incline 2.0, 2 min 3.0, 1 min 4.0, 2 min 3.0, 2 min 2.5, 1 min 3.0, 1 min 4.0
1 minute rest in between and on the back half I slowed the pace to 9.34/mile
cooldown
Total mileage done - 3.41

Okay, so I worked up the courage and went to the gym at work (I work at a University so it is the same gym that students, staff and faculty use...). I dressed quite modest (for me) to the gym,  capri's, running T-shirt... Mistake number 1 right there... Now remember, I am used to running on the treadmill in the privacy of my own home... meaning short shorts and sports bra/racerback. So I was dying of heat .12 miles in.

Mistake number 2- expecting no one to be there, sheesh I pulled up right when it opened and two guys were already on the treadmills. No worries though, 4 were available and I think I got the prime one, not super close to the mirrors, centred with a tv, Yes things were good. Except, I ended up being the only person in the whole freaking place who looked like they were in discomfort. Seriously! I think I had 2 or 3 waves of people come on the treadmills beside me and leave. Oh ya, because they were doing 'circuit' training... when I do a circuit I still break a sweat but hey, who am I to judge... I'm just saying 1 rep a minute aint going to get you anywhere fast... Oh ya, and the girl who came on the treadmill beside me, had a Tim Hortons coffee cup in her hand as she leisurely walked.... And people wonder why even though they go to the gym they aren't losing weight? (I mean if all you can do is 1 rep a minute then good for you! Do that, but if that is all that you could do you would probably be breaking a sweat because it is uncomfortable! I don't mean to be judgey, but I do think I rolled my eyes at the girl drinking her coffee while on the treadmill....)

So yes, I ended up being a hot sweaty mess, sweat dropping into my eye balls and falling on the treadmill, hair all over the place despite my head band. Ugh, this is why I enjoyed running in the privacy of my own home... all of these self conscious issues were avoided, but here's the thing, the purpose of a gym is to work out. So I learned a good lesson this morning. When the workout gear goes on, the pride comes off.

My workouts are not going to be perfect, my tempo pace wont always be met, and there may even be days when I have to walk. But at the end of the day, the point is that I make the best of the situation and don't let myself off the hook too easily, but extend grace when necessary. Its a balance that I will likely always be working at, but one that needs to be kept in check in order to ensure the longevity of my running life. Anyways, thanks for reading the random thoughts/rant about my gym experience... I have a feeling this may become a common trend: Random gym sightings!

No comments:

Post a Comment