Friday 26 April 2013

Who Puts Away a Dead Garmin?!

Alright, so remember that Monday of the Boston Marathon... When I went for a run and thought it was extremely fitting that my Garmin died at the end of it... Ya, funny story, since I was leaving the next day for Florida I never charged it. Seriously? And I'm going into a Master's program?

My oh my. Anyways, yesterday I attempted to go for a run, was initially annoyed when I realized I had no Garmin. But then figured I would use my good ol IronMan watch which lets face it, same dif just no pace time really. And honestly, with this delightful chest cold I have it is probably for the best that I couldn't see my pace time.

I did an old and faithful route, that I used to do last year and the year before when I first started to really run outside. I am fortunate enough to live near by a park that has a lake with a walk/running path that goes around it. It was comforting to run a route that I used to do, to know that the one hill I may have to walk up but try not to get discouraged and just keep on keeping on. Sometimes, during these runs, the ones when you head out thinking you have come so far but mentally feeling discouraged like you haven't. It is during these runs, when you run old routes that you can feel reassured in yourself, in your strength and in how far you have come as a runner.

 It was a beautiful sunshiny day out, and the park was full of people running, walking and playing which is always nice. Since I had  no Garmin I used MapMyRun to see how far I went and was surprised as to the distance, yeaaa 5.13 miles... Oh, right, but I'm doing at least 13.1 next weekend (and should be doing 17 or something according to my training plan... awesome).

Anyways, I can't even remember what my time was, but heck, 5 miles is better then none at all, and the feeling of heat, exhaustion, and sweat running down my face was pure satisfaction.

This weekend I am going to attempt to go on a nice slow run on Sunday, and Saturday I'm not doing anything as I am working from 8:30 to a undecided time due to a work even that is taking place.

So Happy Friday to anyone who happens to see this and I hope it is a sunny Friday for you like we are having in the lower mainland right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment